Sunday, May 11, 2008

Drop and Give Me 20 (Years that is)


So, as noted in the last blog, Dennis and I have made the decision that we are going to stay in the Marine Corps until he retires. My fellow military friends can probably relate to our back and forth on this issue. We have both been completely sure that Dennis will get out and a few weeks later decided that he is going to stay in. Basically, I'm saying don't hold it against me if we change our minds again. But for now, here our the reasons Dennis and the rest of the Katolin family are staying in the Marine Corps:
1. Dennis loves the Marine Corps and Marines. He has wanted to be a Marine since he was a little boy. And, he has passed that love onto me as crazy as that sounds. There is something admirable about the dedication and honor of the Marine Corps that I am proud to be a part of.
2. Dennis is great at what he does. He puts his heart and soul into his work and loves being a leader of Marines.
3. We love new adventures and new places. I NEVER would have known that 29 Palms existed nor would I have volunteered to move out to the middle of nowhere, but I loved our years there and learned a lot from the experience.
4. We love meeting new people and making new friends.
5. There is security. We do not have to worry that Dennis will lose his job. We have great medical coverage.
6. Dennis can retire at the age of 42!!! Every year after 42 for the rest of his life, he will get half of his pay (adjusted for inflation). You can't beat that. I am sure the Dennis and Andrea of 42 will be very thankful to the Dennis and Andrea of 28 for this extra money. And, at this point, he can start a whole new career if he wants.
7. Dennis knows that I love him no matter what, but I don't mind that his job requires him to stay fit and trim. And, I must admit that he looks hot in the dress blues and every other uniform he has to wear.
8. Tax free and cheaper shopping at the commissary and exchange.
9. The internet makes it easier to stay in touch with family and there are always plane rides.
10. Deployments are good for the soul. (Who are we kidding?!)
Well, the last two are our big reasons why we would want to get out. We'll just have to make many trips to STL and hopefully the world will calm down a bit and the deployments will be less frequent.

No comments: