Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Great Diaper Experiment


We are going to give cloth diapers a shot! They arrived in the mail today and we can't wait to give them a try. The decision was made for several reasons. It saves money, seems to be better for the environment and just seems like it would be more comfy for Elyse. And, after talking with several moms who use diapers, it sounds like it isn't really that big of a deal to wash them. We just need to throw them in the wash every other day or so and things are good. And it won't be a big deal for me at all because Dennis has agreed to take on the duty of diaper washing. How did I get so lucky?! We bought six total, three of each "Fuzzi Buns" and "Bum Genius." These aren't your grandmother's diapers...the do not require any folding, pins, or even rubber pants. It is all built in. I've included a picture. I'll update the blog with our findings. (We're going out of town this weekend so I guess we won't be able to try them until next week).

Another great development this week has been Elyse clapping! It is awesome that she can clap at all but the greatest thing is that she can really understand our words. We say "clap" and you can see in her face, "Oh, I know what that means" and she claps her hands together. I've seen a light bulb go off in her head, making the connection that words connect to actions and that she can be part of the action. It is so awesome to see all of this develop! I'm going to try and upload a video on You Tube. The video upload here doesn't seem to be working. Check it out!

No comments: