Sunday, June 22, 2008

Psalm 23


I've decided on Sundays, I want to share something that has inspired or touched me during the week. If nothing else, it will keep my spiritual eyes open, knowing I will need to have something to share.

Today in church, someone read the 23rd Psalm. I've heard it many times but today it especially touched me. In the past, I've recognized this psalm for the recognition of all the blessings the Lord bestows on us. I recognized that again today. My cup does overflow. But today what especially struck me was the part about enemies. The fact that God still provides all these wonderful things in the bad times and the presence of enemies. While I can thankfully say I have few enemies in the literal sense, I do have enemies in the form of doubt, long days, traffic, bad attitudes (my own and that of others) and frustrations. But God is still with me and provides abundant blessings in every situation.

The Lord is my shepherd;
I have everything I need.
He let's me rest in peaceful meadows;
He leads me by peaceful streams.
He renews my strength;
He guides me along right paths,
Bringing honor to his name.

Even when I walk through the dark valley of death,
I will not be afraid,
for you are close beside me.
Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.

You prepare a feast for me
in the presence of my enemies.
You welcome me as a guest,
anointing my head with oil.
My cup overflows with blessings.
Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me
all the days of my life,
and I will live in the house of the lord forever.

Added Later: My mom called this morning and let me know the bug on that flower is a Japanese beetle. Apparently, they are the enemy of flowers! I didn't even realize it, but that flower is in the presence of its enemy!

No comments: