Sunday, August 10, 2008

Agreement Numero Uno

I've discovered this great little book, called The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz. From the back of the book: "the Four Agreements offer a powerful cod of conduct that can rapidly transform our lives to a new experience of freedom, true happiness and love." The book outlines four steps we can take to make positive changes in our lives.


The first is: Be Impeccable With Your Word

Our words have an unbelievable power, both over ourselves and over others. Whether we are using our words on ourselves or with others, our words create our personal truths and these truths transform the way we see the world. If we tell ourselves we are stupid, we continue to behave in ways that confirm this statement about ourselves. We also have this same influence on others.

When we are impeccable with our word we use the same transforming power of words to plant seeds of love. We also make a choice about the words of others. We do not let the negative words of others transform us.

From the chapter:
"Being impeccable with your word is the correct use of your energy; it means to use your energy in the direction of truth and love for yourself. If you make an agreement with yourself to be impeccable with your word, just with that intention, the truth will manifest through you and clean all the emotional poison that exists with in you."

"You will only receive a negative idea if your mind is fertile ground for that idea."

As I heard in a recent sermon on this agreement. Use your words for:
Truth
Beauty
Love

I wrote that big on a sheet of paper and I have it on my fridge. Does having it on my fridge make me perfect at it? No. I've still gossiped. I've still used negative self-talk. But I've been better.

What's the second agreement? You'll have to wait until next week to find out. And, I really recommend getting the book. The author does an amazing job explaining these ideas. And, I have to say that I usually have a hard time getting through books like this but this is a good one. If you read it, let me know what you think.

No comments: