Wednesday, August 20, 2008

My Auxiliary Flash

I bought an auxiliary flash last night for my camera and I am so excited about it! It is one of those big flash things that sticks out the top of the camera. I wish I could take a picture of it for you but obviously, it is difficult to take a picture of a camera. :)

With a regular flash, the flash shoots directly at the subject. That often looks really harsh and can create some wacky shadows. You can see in the first picture that I pointed the flash straight at me.


With this fancy new flash, I can change the direction. In the second picture, I pointed it straight up. What that does is allow the flash to bounce off the ceiling and fill the whole room. The overall effect is much lighter and has less shadow.


You can tell a big difference in the pictures of my croc too. In the first one, the flash is pointing directly at it. In the second, I pointed the flash up.


I think there are a lot of other things I can do with this...I just haven't figured them all out yet. I'm having a great time learning!!

What do you think?

2 comments:

Angela said...

That is so cool! How did you do that thing with I heart U?

KatolinFamily said...

We had all the lights off and used something called "slow flash." The shutter stays open for a very long time. A flash goes off at the beginning to get the image of Dennis. Then, since the shutter is open a long time, it continues to record the image. Since there is no flash anymore, it only records light. Dennis had a candle and moved it to "write" in the air.