Thursday, October 9, 2008

Enmglish Muffin Loaves



As I was watching Grey's Anatomy tonight, I decided I needed a snack. I looked to the pantry and the refrigerator and could not find anything to meet my craving so I decided to make something. I remembered our jar of homemade jam and decided to make something for it to go on (because eating spoonfuls out of the jar would just not be civilized!)

Give this bread a try. It is pretty easy (I made it in between commercials) and delicous.

English Muffin Loaves (Makes 2 loaves, I halved it to just make one)

2 packages active dry yeast
6 cups flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup water
Cornmeal

Combine 3 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt and soda. Heat liquids until very warm (I did about 1.5 min in the microwave). Add liquids to dry mixture. Beat well (oops, I just stirred well). Stir in rest of flour to make a stiff batter. Spoon into two 8.5x4.5 inch pans that have been greased (Pammed) and sprinkled with cornmeal. Sprinkle tops with cornmeal. Cover. Let rise in warm place for 45 min. Tonight this was just my house as we are experiencing some warm weather! Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. Remove from pans immediately and cool.

This bread is great with a little butter or some home made jam (try not to let the jam drip on your keyboard as you type out the recipe). It is good fresh out of the oven or toasted a bit.

We didn't have any butter or margarine as evidenced by this container Dennis found in the fridge. Oops!



Enjoy!!!

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Thanks for the new recipe! I love English Muffins!

I tried making butter for the first time last week and it turned out great. I made pumpkin pie spice butter which would be great with this bread! I really want to make honey butter, but we still have too much of the first one left to justify making more :)

KatolinFamily said...

Wow, you made butter?! I am very impressed. I guess I didn't really know you could do that without a churn. How do you make pumpkin pie spice butter? It sounds delicious. I'd love the recipe!@