Sunday, November 16, 2008

You must be present to win...

Today we were back in church after weeks of sick and travel and the sort. And it was a good thing. Well, it's always a good thing but today, I especially liked the message.

The point of the message was "Live in the Moment." Let go of the past and don't worry about the future.

And while I love a good philosophical sermon as much as the next girl, I love it when I get to hear the "how." Of course I know to live in the moment but when thoughts that lead me otherwise come up, what do I do? We learned some practical steps today and I thought I'd share.

The first thing to do is ask, "Is there a problem now?" I'll use the example of selling our house. We will likely be moving next summer and will want to sell our house. In case you didn't hear, the housing market isn't so great and I worry about what will happen.

When I ask myself the question "Is there a problem now?" The answer is a big N-O! We have a place to live, we are lucky enough to be able to pay our mortgage and the walls are the pretty green that I painted myself.

Here are five more steps to bring us back into the present when thoughts of the past or worries of the future come up:
1. Feel the feeling. I'm anxious about selling the house, worried and regret our decision to buy. I need to feel each of these things.
2. Take 2-3 deep breaths and connect with God.
3. Come up with denial and/or affirmation statements. Here it might be "We continue to be grateful for the abundance in our lives and God will provide for our every need." Have this ready when the worry comes up.
4. Think, "Is there anything that is mine to do?" And if so, do it. I might make a note on my calendar in January to ask friends about their real estate agent.
and finally...

5. Say "Thank you, God" for the spiritual teaching and growth from this situation.

No comments: