Monday, February 23, 2009

Faith

As I have mentioned before, we have our house on the market. It has been causing me stress, certainly more than it should (I would be the first to admit that!) I am trying my hardest to control my thoughts and I have turned to prayer and the Bible more than usual (certainly that is a good thing!) One thing I have been worrying about IS my worry. I should have enough faith that I can completely trust in God, right?

The other day, I found this page marked and it reminded me that I don't have to do it all. All I need to do is want to have enough faith and God will recognize and reward that.

It is the story of the boy who had been sick from childhood and the father brought the son to Jesus.

Jesus asked the boy's father, "How long has he been like this?"

"From childhood," he answered, "It has often thrown him into fire or water to kill him. But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us."

" 'If you can'? " said Jesus, "Everything is possible for him who believes."

Immediately the boy's fater exclaimed, I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"

When Jesus saw a crowd was running to the scene, he rebuked the evil spirit, "You deaf and mute spirit," he said, "I command you, come out of him and never enter him again."

The spirit shrieked, convulsed him violently and came out.

Mark 9:21-26

This was the little point of interest in the bible:
Most of us have been in the position of wanting to trust God completely but only being able to trust him partway. Some of us spend a lot of time in this "sort of" trusting mode. We can't bluff God; he knows how much we trust him. But he honors even a small faith presented to him honestly. Jesus' response to this man's admission was to drive the demon out of the boy, a miracle that ought to cause anyone's faith to grow from "sort of" to "totally!"

It is certainly good for me to remember that I don't have to be perfect.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

well said, love!

Laurie said...

This was the Gospel reading this morning at Mass! Very well said.

Amanda said...

I used the Serenity prayer a lot during the last part of my pregnancy and labor. Although I needed another c-section, I feel completely different about it and I think the prayer really helped me accept what I can't change.

Brandi K. said...

praying for you! love you guys.