Saturday, August 15, 2009

Because every girl needs a TUTU!

My friend Amber made her daughter and her friends tutus last Halloween. She explained how easy it was to make so when we walked past tulle at Wal-Mart today I couldn't resist.

Here is how I did it:

1. First I took a piece of elastic and measured it around her waist. I'm lazy and didn't want to sew it so I just used a safety pin to hold it together. And, I guess this makes it adjustable so maybe it will fit later.


2. Then, I took the tulle and cut strips twice the length that I wanted the length to be on the skirt. I folded it a few times to make the cutting easier, and it certainly didn't have to be perfect.

3. Then, I just took the tulle strips and tied them along the elastic. I used three yards of each color and just alternated. It was the perfect amount of fabric.


Unfortunately, my little ballerina wasn't so excited to wear her tutu. She was excited about the idea at Wal-Mart and even said that Zoe (from Sesame Street) wears tutus. She loved watching me start it. I finished it during her nap and as soon as she woke up, she shouted "TUTU" and ran downstairs to see it. But, she did NOT want to put it on. Eventually, I made her so I could at least get a picture (bad mommy!) and she wanted it off right away. I guess it might be itchy so maybe we'll do it with a onsie or something on under it. I guess a girl just has to be in the right mood to wear a tutu. Here are some pictures!



1 comment:

Angela said...

How fun! Maybe some Velcro instead of the pin would be good too (I'm always worried about stabbing myself or anyone else involved...). Thanks for the idea. I am just about to look up your felt board blog...