Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Elyse at 2 and a half!


Our sweet little baby is a two and a half year old! It is hard to believe!

What to say?

Well, first we have a funny little girl which is important in this house. Elyse has always laughed along with our jokes. Recently she has taken our kidding a step further and created her own jokes. For example, in the car ride home one night, Dennis said to Elyse, "You're name's not Elyse anymore. Your name is Flower." She cracked up and then responded right back to me. "Mama, you're name is not mama anymore. Your name is schoosha (or whatever she put in at that moment)." Likely it was some object she saw in the car or a made up word. When she does not want to answer a question, Elyse will respond with a made up jibberish word like "meeska" or "soopa." Elyse has even started coming up with her own jokes. Today, as I was changing her diaper, I said, "Your legs are so long!" She responded by saying, "I need to get a leg cut!" (We've been talking about getting a haircut soon).

Pretend play is on the rise. She will even play on her own. Today she was talking for her Easter candy, a chick and an egg. The chick was telling the egg that it wanted to go back inside. She still loves her "Yellow babies" and will often give them a hug saying, "I love my yellow baby and she loves me." She sometimes talks about her pretend dog she has appropriately named, "Woofie." He was on our walk with us today.



Elyse loves to play with her friends and play outside. We bought her a Dora baseball set and she loves playing baseball (much to Dennis' delight). She will say "Pappy, do you want to play baseball with me?" How can he resist?!



She is a keen negotiator already. If I tell her to do something, she will often come up with a better plan. Tonight I told her to put her shoes and sunglasses away. She responded, "How about if I put my sunglasses away and you put your shoes away," and then her classic line, "Is that a good idea??" We hear that one a lot. Or, if we are telling her something she disagrees with, she always starts with, "Actually." "Actually, I want to wear my brown shoes."

Elyse still loves to go places, out to lunch, to Target or on her Sunday morning date with Dennis (they head to McDonalds for breakfast and then run some errands after).

Much to my dismay, she has strong opinions lately, especially over what she wants to wear. On Easter, I really wanted her to wear a super cute skirt I picked out for her. She insisted on wearing pants. After much debate, I finally convinced her to wear a different dress with leggings under it. But then she wanted brown shoes. And it really didn't look cute but I had to let it go. I'm trying to remember to pick my battles.



Elyse usually loves Madelyn and is very helpful. The other day I said I had to go get Madelyn a new pair of pants and Elyse said, "I'll take care of it." She walked all the way up to Madelyn's room, grabbed a pair of pants, and brought them back downstairs for her. Other times, though, she complains "She's touching me!!"




We have been using my "preschool" techniques on her (I worked at a preschool in college and now think it was the BEST job I ever had). In the middle of a screaming fit, she sometimes can calm down enough to "use her words" and will clearly tell us what she wants. Other times, screaming is all that comes out and we have trouble understanding her.

Elyse has become more of a cuddle bug and will just snuggle up to me sometimes (LOVE IT!) She has also become a Barney fan. That "I love you" song is super annoying until your two year old sings it to you. It melts my heart.

We have such FUN with this little girl. She is such a joy in our lives.


2 comments:

Laurie said...

There are many advantages to being in the field of education and being able to use words like, "Use your words" or "Please use your walking feet!" I guess all of the time spent at My Home 2 paid off!

The Wilkins said...

OMG, I loved this post! I'm so excited for what comes next. The lack of using sentences is very difficult for me. I think we all have a stage that will be difficult for US all around, this is mine.