Monday, June 14, 2010

Boxes


We made it...2669 miles all the way across the US. Above you will see our collection of boxes. I'm not sure that the picture clearly conveys how many there are. And we already got rid of a bunch. And there are more to go.

The trip went as smoothly as possible. There is a lot I am thankful for. Here is just a short list:

-The moving company. They packed loaded and trucked all our stuff all the way across the US. Can you imagine if we had to do that on our own?

-My iPhone. For so many reasons, but mostly because I could download Barney videos to keep Elyse entertained on our plane rides.

-Strollers, ergo carrier and all the other baby gear that made carrying a baby a little easier.

-Two super well behaved girls that did great traveling (and only one required us to make a diaper change in the plane seat...luckily it was the littlest one!)

-My parents for letting us come stay at their house for several weeks while everything was being transferred and settled.

-WonderPet dolls purchased at an airport giftshop

-A brand new beautiful house on base in California that we were able to move right into (pictures coming soon!)

-Suitcases with wheels (how did people cope before these were invented)

-The geography of St. Louis. It worked out so well that it is in the middle of the country. My parents were willing to let the girls and I take over their house for a few weeks and we spent time with some great friends.

And the two things I am most thankful for are:
-Dennis, who let the girls and I duck out of town before the movers came and took care of them in Virginia, drove across the ENTIRE country all by himself, got us a house, dealt with the movers on this end and unpacked practically our entire house. It really is AMAZING all the work he did here. A little decorating needs to be done but our house was ready for us when we arrived.

-My mom. She flew from STL to Virginia so I wouldn't have to fly alone with the girls and then flew from STL out to California for the same reason. I'm sure I would have survived (well I think I would have) the trip alone but I am certainly thankful I did not have to find out.

And so here we are in California. Dennis starts work today. We've already painted a room (pictures of that soon I'm sure). I'm ready to figure out a new routine here for the girls and me. We are really excited about what is to come!

1 comment:

Angela said...

Love your list! And your genuine gratitude. We were so happy to have some time with you in STL. Except for Bryan he was especially bummed to miss Elyse in passing - loves that kid (how could you not).