Friday, September 3, 2010

E's Headboard


Awhile ago, I saw this picture online and it ended up being the inspiration for E's headboard.
recent inspirations eclectic kids
eclectic kids design

It's funny though, because now that I look back at it it's different than I remember. I remember there being an upholstered headboard all the way around.

The initial plan was to buy some plywood, foam and fabric and cover it all and hang it above E's bed. I was nervous though about hanging something heavy...I wasn't sure how that would work.

My mom had the GENIOUS idea of instead using Styrofoam insulation. We picked up three sheets at Home Depot for only $5 each.

Here is how we did it:
First we cut the Styrofoam insulation to the correct size. We wanted to do one piece by her head and two along the length of the bed.

Next I cut a piece of batting to fit the board and used a few pieces of duct tape to old it on each side (we knew the next layer would keep it on completely).


Then we took the fabric, wrapped it around and secured it with duct tape. The fabric is actually a cut up duvet cover from Ikea. I meant to get a sheet set so we could use the top sheet for this and then the fitted sheet to cover the box spring but Ikea's silly packages only have pictures and no words and I misinterpreted the pic. But this worked fine!

The last step was to secure it to the wall. We just used 3M sticky wall things found near all their hooks at Target. It worked great and I love the look! Overall, we figured it cost less than $30!

But here's the joy of having a 2 1/2 year old with her own opinion...E said she doesn't like it. She doesn't want a headboard. I just ignored it at first and changed the subject. But two nights after we put it up she woke up crying (or maybe hadn't fallen asleep yet) saying, "I don't want a headboarddddd" Yeish! Doesn't she appreciate the hard work we do for her?! On Monday I told her that we had to wait a week. If she still didn't like it we could take it down. I hope she's just going to forget and decide she's cool with a headboard. Because I think it's pretty cool.

Thanks mom for all your help and insights!

Check out some other fun ideas at Shabby Nest.

3 comments:

*plum*tree*studio* said...

that is such an awesome headboard!! i hope she starts to like it because it would be a shame to take it down.
p.s. i had to laugh at the little "green" riding hood costume. hehe...can't wait to see what she ends up being for halloween!

Kerns Family said...

I love the headboard also. Being a week later, I hope Elyse has learned to love it and it is still up on the wall.

Angela said...

It's adorable, I might try it myself and I LOVE her reaction. It is so 3-year-old-girl.