Sunday, April 24, 2011

Chocolate Peanut Butter Peek-a-boo Cookies



Today was Easter. Just about every Lent, I decide to take a break from sweets. Heavens knows I love them and it give me an opportunity to put the breaks on my sugar consumption for awhile. But, with Easter comes the opportunity to indulge.

Luckily, my wonderful neighbor planned an Easter egg hunt, followed by a dessert smorgasbord!

I originally planned to bring a rum cake but no one in our house was too excited about it so I instead decided to incorporate my two favorite flavors-chocolate and peanut butter-into our contribution.

I couldn't find exactly what I wanted in recipes on the internet so I decided to combine too and concoct my own. It certainly was a hit!

They aren't the pretties cookies (I'll have to work on that) but boy are they yummy!

Here is the recipe:

Combine:
1/2 cup peanut butter with
1/2 cup confectioners sugar

Set aside

Cream 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons coconut oil with
1 cup sugar
Mix in 1 egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla

Separately, combine
1 cup flour
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Add to coconut oil mixture

Form the peanut butter mixture into balls. Then, take the chocolate mixture and form around the peanut butter ball. (making for a peanut butter surprise in the middle). Repeat with remaining ingredients.

Bake on a cookie sheet in a 350 degree oven for about 8 minutes.

Try not to eat them all at once!

A quick note:
Since we started investigating dairy alternatives for Madelyn, I discovered coconut oil. You can use it to replace butter in recipes. I love it! It adds a little bit of coconut flavor which some people might not like (sorry mom). I'm sure the recipe above would work with regular butter too.

On the second batch, I flattened the balls a bit before cooking so they didn't look so "weird" when they came out of the oven.

(un-flattened batch looking weird)



(flattened batch looking less odd)

(But I have to say, there are some benefits of weird looking cookies...I think people were afraid to try them, leaving more for me to bring home! Bwahaha!)

I dare you to eat just one!

No comments: