Friday, August 12, 2011

The Fifty Nifty!



I saw this just last week and I knew I had to make one of my own.

You see, I love maps (from my dad) and pretty patterns (from my mom) and this project is the perfect marriage of the two.

Luckily, last Thursday when I was inspired to start it right away, it was the perfect time because my mom was here to help me figure it out.

So here's what I did.

I started off with a blank canvas I happened to have in my closet. It was white so I decided to spray paint it yellow.

Then I found a map to use online. I just Googled "USA map coloring page" and one came up.

I printed it off the computer. It wasn't close to being big enough so I enlarged it 200% on my copier and taped the pages together.
(Maddy was sitting with a marker nearby and decided to add some color to my map)

Then, I labeled each state on the back, 1-50.
The example I found used scrapbook paper but I decided to use fabric (my mom had just brought me lots of her scraps!). We decided wonder under would work to both work as a template to cut the shapes and attach the fabric to the board.

I laid the map face down on my white kitchen counter and traced each of the 50 states onto a piece of Wonder Under (so it was in mirror image). That's when I decided this project would have been much easier back on 1776 when there were only 13 colonies. I labeled each state with the number from my map so I wouldn't get them confused.

I then took each state and ironed it to a piece of fabric and cut out the shape.

I laid out each state on the canvas as I went.

After they were all cut out and laid out, I peeled off the back of the wonder under off each state and ironed it to the canvas (ironing on one at a time).

I'm in love with how it turned out.

If I did this project again, I would be a little more exact when tracing each state. If you look closely, you will see some gaps like this one between Montana and North Dakota.


I might add some buttons to mark where we have lived.

The plan is to add this to a gallery wall in the playroom I have in the works.

I hope you give it a try!


7 comments:

Beverly @ FlamingoToes.com said...

This is very sweet!! I love how colorful it is - it's a great piece of artwork!!

Laura Beth said...

Your map turned out great!! I saw you at TT&J and thought that project looked familiar :)

Simone +Jarrod said...

looks great!!!

Kelly Sellers said...

this is super cute! love the different fabrics all together. good work!

Amy said...

A fabulous idea! I'm sure your kids will love it.

Di~ said...

I love it!

Carla said...

I just found this...love it alot!