Saturday, August 20, 2011
The New Ottoman
Just a quick side note, this project is about my creation of a new ottoman, but have you ever wondered why the piece of furniture we put our legs on is called an ottoman. Does it have anything to do with that ancient empire? Does anyone know??
We have had this lovely ottoman in our living room since Elyse was in my tummy. It's worked great and is a perfect piece of furniture to store a bunch of junk. But, it has seen better days. It has a few scratches on the side (mostly from me being to lazy to move it when I vacuum the rug) and the brown on brown just bugged me.
So I've been thinking of creating a new one for this space.
I was at Home Goods a few months ago and ran across this:
It's a leather top to an ottoman that must have lost its legs along the way. I grabbed it!
The brown "leather" would have been nice except for the lack of contrast on the brown rug. Enter two yards of fabric from Ikea, a can of black spray paint and four spindles from Home Depot.
I used my handy staple gun to adhere the fabric to the top.
The corners were tricky but I cut off some excess fabric, pulled one side over and stapled it and then made a fold on the other piece to cover the raw edge (that probably makes no sense and I'm sorry I don't have a picture).
I spray painted the legs (easy enough) but ran into a big problem when I went to attach them to the top.
The holes (already in the ottoman) were too big for the screws (already part of the spindles). Luckily, I consulted the experts at my home improvement store and they had a perfect solution.
I removed the screws from the spindles and screwed in the right size. Worked perfectly!
And I'm in love with the final result!
I know my Home Goods purchase was a lucky find but I am convinced this could be done without it. Just a piece of plywood, some foam and batting and a version of this could come to life. Maybe I'll give it a try someday!