Monday, December 31, 2012

Looking Back and Peering Forward

2012 was a mixed bag for the Katolin family.  Right before the New Year last year, Dennis left for deployment to Afghanistan and 7 months out of the 12 we spent apart.

But it's strange.  That time was tough.  We missed him.  But when I think back on the year, it's almost like we skipped over that seven months.  Looking back and the year, I remember him being around and all the fun family times we had together.  Don't get me wrong...sometimes on something as simple as a walk together to get the mail, I remember what it was like on the same walk with Dennis gone.  There was a missing and a sadness (and some exhaustion) that persisted, knowing the other half of me was out of reach.  And during those moments I stop with gratitude, thankful that those days are over and our family is together again.

So looking back at 2012, there are a lot of great memories.  I remember Elyse's first day of preschool and the stories she excitedly told me on the car ride home.  I remember Madelyn dressed up like Belle at every possible chance and her dancing with her Beast (Dennis) in the living room.  I remember the middle of the night when Dennis came home from Afghanistan and the great friends who came with me to take pictures.  I remember the moment I saw a super faint second pink line on the pregnancy test and whet to show Dennis who was working on the car.  I remember the awesome trip Dennis and I took to Colorado.

I'm thankful for pictures and videos, and as I go through 2012's collection, I'm thankful for the ability to record these moments.  Because in all honesty, I can remember the big events, but the little everyday moments escape my thoughts until I sit to look at the pictures.  I can't remember how Maddy's little voice sounded a year ago but I'm thankful for the 30 second video from my phone of her singing Slippery Fish so I can hear it again.

As we move into 2013, I'm excited about what the new year has to bring.  We'll be adding a new member to the family.  I can't wait to see Sam's little face in person and learn about the person he is.  I don't think I've mentioned it here before, but the Marine Corps will most likely be moving us across the country again...back to Quantico, Virginia.  We're excited about that and the new adventures it will bring.  I'm excited about all the moments we'll be able to share together.

I'm not one for new year's resolutions (my only resolution for this year is to wear earrings on a regular basis).  But I do want to focus on the right stuff.  On being grateful.  On living in the moment.  On loving the moments and the people in my life.  And I do want to keep taking pictures, because it's a lens through which I can appreciate these moments.

Here are some of my favorite moments,  from the past year.

















1 comment:

Rachael said...

You've had a great year and so much to look forward to in the new year. I know exactly what you mean when you talked about the video of Madelyn singing. We forget all those little things unless we preserve the memory. I took so many videos of the kids while Tim was gone last time, but then in the 10 months he's been home, hardly any. I need to commit to taking videos all the time, so I can always know what their little voices sounded like at every age.