Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Life in VA

I've thought about blogging a lot.  In fact, I actually write posts in my head from time to time.  Unfortunately, it's usually when I'm rocking a baby or putting dishes away or driving Stan the Van (our new minivan).  So that makes it tough for these posts to actually make it from my brain to the Internet.

Life in Virginia is good.  We're settling in.  The house is starting to feel like ours.  We've found the best place in the neighborhood to do the grocery shopping.  We're getting to know the neighbor kids.  It feels good to be here.

While we certainly miss the California weather (it's disheartening to look at the CA forecast and see 73 degrees all week long!) I like that it really feels like summer here.  The hot and humid weather brings the true "summer" feel we grew up with.  Dennis has been taking the girls to the pool most weekends.  Elyse can now swim half the length of the pool without a life jacket.  We've been playing outside and riding bikes.  We are in a war against mosquitos.  It feels like summer.

Dennis has started work at EWS.  Students show up this week.  We found out that he'll probably be promoted to major next month.  Yay!!  He works about 12 miles from our house.  Not a bad commute but I do miss the mile drive he had in California.  No coming home for lunch here.  But no deployments and few field exercises so no complaints from me!

I'm still working, teaching two classes right now.  It is a bit overwhelming at times, considering I'm also taking care of three kids and trying to unpack a house.  I'm learning to take it one day at a time.  We have a babysitter come twice a week while I do some work so that helps.

School will start after Labor Day.  Elyse is super excited to start kindergarten.  We also decided to sign Madelyn up for preschool next year.  I know she'll love it.  She'll go two days a week.

I found a mom's group to join.  I miss having my friends right in the neighborhood, but trust that we'll make some more friends in the neighborhood too.  I think the mom's group will give us some fun stuff to do.  They have a book club which I decided to join.  But, the first book on their list is Wuthering Heights!  I'm not sure that I can hang but I'm going to give it a try.  Think they'll judge me when I show up with Cliff's Notes?!

It's nice that we've lived here before.  We've been able to have some get togethers with good friends out here.




And our little Sammy Boy is doing great.  He's free with his smiles and even laughs sometimes.  He likes peek-a-boo and when we sing to him.  He's trying really hard to roll over from his back to his front.  The arm gets in the way still but I think he'll be able to make it to his tummy before long.

Overall, life is good here.  We've done this move thing enough times to know it takes a good six months to feel comfortable and find "our tribe" here.  Knowing this makes the move a little bit easier.

No comments: